Hot Topic Tuesday - Airing Your Relationship Dirty Laundry

Hot Topic Tuesday is an opportunity to take controversial, attention-grabbing, or 'hot' topics that have recently garnered attention across the social media stage and open them up for discussion.

Today's Hot Topic graced my Twitter feed multiple times this week. In an article posted by People.com, the Daily Dot, and referenced by YummyMummyClub.ca, a husband was turned down sexually so many times by his wife that he decided to make a spreadsheet documenting these rejections, then sent her the information with a note about why he will not miss her while she is away for 10 days. Check out the spreadsheet and expansion of the article here. The wife, angered by said spreadsheet, posted the document on Reddit. For those unfamiliar with Reddit, it is a social media site whereby users post links and articles and readers can vote on whether they consider it a good link or not worth reading. Hundreds of people viewed the link and commented on this couple's relationship through the various media sources that picked up the story.

Would you ever air your relationship dirty laundry in public via social media or another venue?

My Opinion, In Case You Are Curious

This brings a whole new meaning to the adage "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned". There are so many thing wrong with both sides of this story it's hard to narrow it down. I know that sometimes I mention my hubs here on my blog, but I would never use social media as a means to express my frustration with my husband. I think technology and social media have become crutches for many people to 'cop out' of having to communicate with others face to face. I think having crucial conversations face to face with each other about your own or your partner's frustrations and concerns is key to a partnership that will last. I know some couples communicate better when they write things down first, and perhaps they share these thoughts with each other via email or text before a face to face conversation, but I don't know anyone who has then 'shared' their partner's text to twitter.

What are your thoughts on this?

ADELLE