Hot Topic Tuesday - Kidcella

Hot Topic Tuesday is an opportunity to take controversial, attention-grabbing, or 'hot' topics that have recently garnered attention across the social media stage and open them up for discussion.

In mid-June, Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's daughter, famously named North West, celebrated her first birthday. In true 'Kimye' fashion, the couple celebrated their daughter's first birthday with a no-holds-barred theme party dubbed "Kidcella" after Coachella, the annual hipster music festival.

Photo Courtesy Instagram

With pictures littering the Instagram accounts of the Kardashian family, fans could see that "Kidcella" came complete with a karaoke music stage, extravagant food, a hashtag# specific to the event and a Ferris Wheel, not to mention a few photos causing some controversy. What would a Kardashian party be without some attention-grabbing antics?

It seems that a lot of pressure is put on parents to celebrate their child's first birthday party with much grandeur and fanfare. The old adage of 'Keeping up with the Kardashians Jones' is carried into the birthday party realm, and extravagant parties are the result.

First birthday parties. How important are they? Ferris Wheel important? What about having it's own hashtag# important?  What do you think of throwing fancy birthday parties for babies?

My Opinion, In Case You Are Curious

My baby girl is six months old, and after reading about Kidcella I found myself wondering about my own daughter's upcoming first birthday party. The memories that I have of my own first birthday party are not from memory but have been garnered from the many pictures that were taken of the happy occasion. If my hubs and I decide to throw a big soiree for our baby girl, how much will she actually remember?

I love birthday parties, but I don't think they need to break the bank. You can throw a fun and festive party without needing a budget or a Ferris Wheel. The internet, specifically Pinterest, is ripe with ideas for hosting parties on-the-cheap.

I also think that birthday parties (big or small) that are thrown for babies are an excuse to have family and friends over to celebrate a beautiful life. The party is as much for the adults as for the children. And what's wrong with that? Even if the birthday honoree needs photos or videos to remember the event when he/she is older, it's always nice to know that family and friends came together to celebrate you.

For now, I'm not sure what my baby girl's first birthday party will look like, but I do know that it won't look like Kidcella. Regardless, I hope it's an event that will be remembered...despite not having a Ferris Wheel. 

What do you think?

Happy Canada Day All!

ADELLE