Halloween Traditions

I LOVE HALLOWEEN. Halloween perfectly compliments my pumpkin obsession, my infatuation with all-things-candy, my love of dressing up, and the joy that holiday-themed TV specials bring to me. My hubs probably finds it annoying that I refuse to watch anything non-Halloween related all day on this spooky holiday, but that does not stop me. Thankfully we have more than one TV.

Growing up, Halloween was a big deal in our house. When we were little, our family would drive to visit all of our grandparents and great-grandparents, showing off our costumes. When we were older, my brother and I would finish trick-or-treating around the neighborhood with our friends, then empty our pillowcases-full of sugary loot onto the living room floor and compare, trade, and sort it all. My parents also participated in the festivities. My dad would dress up in a scary costume and sit on the front steps scaring all of our friends who came by trick-or-treating. My mom would dress both herself and our doggy up and greet everyone at the door, taking pictures of kids that we knew so she could show us their costumes when us kids returned later. As teenagers, Halloween turned into a scary movie night and my dad would sneak outside and bang on the window, scaring the bajesus out of us teenage girls in the basement. As a University student, I continued to receive pictures from my mom on Halloween of all the 'special' kids who trick-or-treated at our house, and there was always an annual picture of our doggy dressed up. Tradition is important to us, and I hope to continue many of these traditions with my own children.

I was feeling nostalgic this week, and since my baby girl isn't old enough yet to enjoy some of our Halloween traditions, I decided to eat my feelings and dug out an old recipe. As a kid, my mom used to make the yummiest pumpkin muffins at this time of year, so I baked up a batch and am sharing the recipe here with all of my lovely readers.

The Recipe

1 1/2 C Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
1/2 tsp. Ginger
1/2 C Chocolate Chips

1 Egg
1/4 C Sugar
1/3 C Cooking Oil
1 C Cooked Pumpkin
1/4 C  Milk

Combine the first 8 dry ingredients in a large bowl.


Stir thoroughly.


Make a well in the center.
Beat egg in a separate small bowl until frothy. Mix in sugar, oil, pumpkin, and milk. Pour into well.



Stir only to moisten. Batter will be lumpy.



Fill greased muffin cups 3/4 full.



Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until the tops are brown.  Let stand 5 minutes, then remove from pan.



Makes approximately 14 muffins.


Nostalgia is delicious.

Do you have any fun Halloween traditions at your house??

Happy Halloween from our House of Horrors to Yours!


VANESSA

Psssst.....4 years ago today I started blogging here...