A Thousand Tiny Decisions

"Nobody ever told you that being a mother is about making a thousand tiny decisions"

The book club I participate in recently read the book "The Husband's Secret" by Liane Moriarty. While reading this book, the above quote struck a chord with me.

When I read it for the first time I practically pumped my fist in the air and yelled  "YES...EXACTLY!!!", "I absolutely 100% agree this!", "This woman totally gets it!"

A few days later I got to thinking about this quote again, and I began to question whether I identify with it because I'm a mom, or because making a thousand tiny decisions a day is what it means to be a grown up.

It led me to think about the people in my life who are not mothers. Men, women, fathers, aunts, uncles, friends. All of these people have demanding occupations: teaching, childcare, social work, business, and the list goes on. They have mortgages, health concerns, aging/ailing family members, career pressures, bills to pay, and mouths to feed. Are they not required to make a thousand tiny (and not so tiny) decisions throughout their very busy days? From meal planning and finances to travel and how to find time to visit family and friends, they get through their days just like moms do....one decision at a time.

No, they may not necessarily be making decisions about who is going to change the fourty-fifth poopy diaper of the day, or whether or not to open an RESP ASAP, but the decisions of their days are still important.

Sometimes I worry that sweeping generalized statements like these paint a picture of moms that is more "woe is me" than "I am woman hear me roar".

So what do you think...is it only mothers who make a thousand tiny decisions a day, or is it a part of being an adult?

Do statements like these make martyrs out of mothers?

VANESSA